VA Central Ohio Healthcare System
Hospice and Palliative Care
What is Palliative Care?
Palliative Care is a special type of medical care that focuses on easing symptoms like pain and stress while helping patients and families also address any social, emotional and spiritual needs. We treat the “whole person” - not just the illness.
Is Palliative Care right for me?
Palliative Care may be right for you if you worry or have questions about the future due to a serious illness like:
- Lung or heart disease
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Kidney Failure
- ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Who is the Palliative Care Team?Palliative Care is a health care team with special training that includes:
- Social Worker
How can Palliative Care help?
Working together, the Palliative Care Team will:
- Manage stressful symptoms like pain, trouble breathing, lack of appetite, or feeling tired.
- Help you understand your condition, the choices available, and the needs you may have in the future.
- Help you find ways to deal with the changes and emotional or spiritual stress that can happen with illness and treatment.
- Listen to your wishes and goals in order to help find answers for you.
- Coordinate care with your other providers.
What can I expect from Palliative Care?
Palliative Care at the Columbus VA begins with a visit in the clinic where the team will work closely with you and your family to help manage symptoms and set goals for care. After your first visit, support is offered by telephone or additional clinic visits. Individual or couple support and spiritual care is also available.
Will I be charged for Palliative Care?
Veterans who have co-payments for visits will be charged.
How do I start getting Palliative Care?
Ask for it! Start by talking with your health care team (doctor, nurse or social worker). They can make the referral. A member of the Palliative Care Team will then call you to answer any questions you have and to schedule your first appointment in the clinic. For more information please call 614-257-5542
420 North James Road
Columbus, OH 43219
- 614-257-5289 Ext. FAX
Hours of Operation
- 8:00am to 4:30pm